Sunday, March 21, 2010

away


I have been absent from here for sometime, traveling to the Midwest for work. I am starting to know my way around Chicago, the girlhood city of my paternal grandmother.Crossing the river at Michigan avenue, where some 19th century building still stand,among skyscrapers, I try to imagine that her eyes rested on those a little bit like mine did, up to the top, where the fog could have suspended too.
On my week end off, i visited a couple of museums.The small but wonderful Museum of Contemporary art where a room installation of William Kentridge's movies filled me with astonished wonder. His world is magical,nostalgic., engrossing and utterly different.

He puts himself in situations of creativity where artistic inspiration comes and goes, evanescent and perplexing. often using some techniques of stop animation.
I also visited the Art Institute, making a tour of the impresionnists rooms, where I could stop in front of many Degas and wonder how he could have been so bold all the way back then. There is also a wonderful new addition, a modern wing ,white and light filled where I came upon canvases by Marlene Dumas, that I love, surprisingly another South African like Kendridge.

For lunch I indulged at Terzo Piano, the new restaurant there, where the appetizer was a show stopper presentation of smokefish, cracker and olives.The taste was less impressive, unfortunately.The room is beautiful though, and in a sea of white, I found my way out to even more artful treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment